Whey Protein For Weight Loss: How To Consume This Protein Supplement To Shed Kilos

KayaWell Icon
Whey Protein For Weight Loss: How To Consume This Protein Supplement To Shed Kilos
whey protein benefits, benefits of whey protein, whey protein for weight loss, is whey protein good for you, whey protein weight loss
KayaWell Expert

Whey Protein for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain

Whey protein is one of the most popular protein supplements consumed by health freaks around the world. This is because protein is one of the most important micro-nutrients needed by the body. The protein supplement is usually available in powder form and can be easily added to healthy beverages to bump up your daily protein intake. Whey is actually a by-product of milk, which is left behind during the manufacturing of cheese. Whey is considered to be a high-quality protein, as it is a complete protein with all 22 amino acids that our body requires from external sources. Studies have indicated that regular consumption of whey protein can help you bulk up your muscle mass while losing fat. So, how effective is Whey Protein for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain? Should you rely on whey protein's benefits to shed those extra kilos?

Benefits Of Whey Protein

According to Dr Anju Sood, "Whey is a very, very good source of protein and it is also very easy to digest. This is what makes it so popular." A lot of research has been done on the effects of the consumption of whey, and various independent studies have also established whey's role in fighting cholesterol and keeping blood pressure and cardiovascular troubles under check. Moreover, it's also low on lactose content, although it is advisable for people with lactose intolerance to keep away from it or consult their nutritionist before adding it to their diets. But, the main benefit of whey protein that we are interested in is weight loss. According to Dr Sood, it may help us achieve our body goals. But, can whey protein help you in achieving weight loss, without exercise? Dr Sood says that consuming whey can only get you results, only if your regular exercise. "Food has around 70 per cent part to play (in weight loss). The rest 30 percent is still exercise," says Dr Sood.

Read Also: Practice These 9 Simple Yet Effective Warm-Up Exercises Before Lifting Heavy Weight

How to consume whey protein for Weight Loss

According to Dr Sood, it's advisable to consume a small portion of simple carbohydrates before your workout and a protein-rich snack post working out. "Consuming carbohydrates before exercise helps mobilize fat in the body. Eating protein-rich meals after exercise helps you build muscle," says Dr Sood. She recommends adding whey protein to your water, yoghurt or milk, depending on what you prefer. Furthermore, she says that a scoop of whey can also be consumed as a snack to promote satiety and aid weight loss. Dr Sood warns against using whey protein powders, which have high sugar content, as they might wreak havoc on your diet instead.

For an average Indian female, Dr Sood says that the daily intake requirement for protein per day ranges from 0.75 gm to 1 gm per kg of body weight. Meanwhile, for males, it ranges from 1 gm to 1.25 gm per kg of body weight. So, if you had your doubts on whether or not they will help you along in your weight loss journey, it's now crystal clear that one can safely include whey protein in their weight loss diet. But remember, it will only get us the desired results if we put in the hard work in the gym as well!

Read Also: 10 Best Body Weight Exercises Every Fitness Freak Should Do