Benefits of Good Nutrition during Cancer Treatment
Good nutrition is important if you have cancer because both the illness and its treatments can change the way you eat.Eating well while you’re being treated for cancer might help you.
· Feel better
· Keep up your strength and energy
· Better tolerate treatment-related side effects
· Lower your risk of infection
· Heal and recover faster
Nutrients include protein, carbohydrates, Vegetables, Fruits
Doctors advise patients to eat the right foods before, during and after treatment.
· Tomatoes, carrots, peas, pumpkin and turnips for vitamins and fibre
· Tomatoes, tomato puree and parsley is good for prostate cancer patients.
· Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage reduce cancer risk. These vegetables contain plant chemicals that can convert bad estrogen into good estrogen
· Bitter gourd for lowering blood sugar levels, Green leafy vegetables for calcium and iron etc.
· Oranges, Bananas, kiwi, peaches, mangoes, pears and strawberries for vitamins and fibre.
· Guava, apricots, figs and raisins for energy.
· Lean meat, fish, poultry, and eggs.
· Dairy products, nuts, dried beans, dhals
· Fish and soy foods is good for prostate cancer patients
Foods to avoid as a cancer patient
· Excessive intake of salt, sugar, and oily foods.
· Red meat and processed meats Like bacon, ham, sausages
· Preserved foods like pickles, jams and century eggs as they contain nitrites which are carcinogenic
· Minimize alcohol